Total Pageviews

Thursday, August 28, 2008

Reading the Bible and Heresy

... In 2Tim. 2:15 we learn that we are to handle the word of God carefully or that we are to study to understand what God has said. Since the day of my salvation, I have held tight to the truth that "no" book can be understood without reading the entire book. In the case of the scriptures I have made it a practice to read the Bible through, from beginning to end just as I read a novel. I will, in the case of a novel, put it on the shelf, after reading it and the best ones are reread after a few years. With the Bible, I do not read it through every year, in fact it has taken me as long as three years, reading just one chapter a day and I have been so focused on a topic study that I have gone through long periods 0f time where I was not reading through but was instead researching a particular topic or two. The point is though that no one scripture, nor any portion of scripture can be taken from the Bible and isolated, this is how heresy begins. It sounds like the scripture is correct because we've heard those words from the Bible before so it gains popularity because man likes to have the upper hand and, generally, we are to lazy to check it out ourselves. After all, didn't that preacher teach it?
...A great example of this is 1Ti 2:4 who would have all men to be saved, and come to the knowledge of the truth. (CEV) This is one of the verses used as a mainstay to support Universal Salvation. This scripture must, however, be taken in the light of what the rest of scripture says and since I have only used one of the heretic's favorites, I'll only point to one place to refute the case and illustrate the truth;
Mat 7:13 Enter ye in by the narrow gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many are they that enter in thereby.
Mat 7:14 For narrow is the gate, and straitened the way, that leadeth unto life, and few are they that find it.
Mat 7:15 Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly are ravening wolves. (ASV)
... The case is made by the Universalist that 1 Tim. 2:4 is the perfect will of God and for that reason all men will be saved. They totally ignore that Jesus taught, in The Sermon on the Mount that there would be few that will find the path and they lend no importance to the fact that Jesus, throughout the Bible taught more on Hell and the perils there-of than He did on Heaven and the rewards.
... For the Christian that desires to follow God and has not been able to find it in themselves to develop the habit of daily study of the word of God, I have a very inexpensive, paperback book that will be found essential after it is purchased. Where to Find it in the Bible, by Ken Anderson is less than ten dollars and is very simple to use. I cannot urge you strongly enough to own a Bible that is easy for you to understand and to keep this book by Ken Anderson with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I will do my very best to maintain a clean and God honoring forum here.