Total Pageviews

Friday, November 27, 2009

Psalm 119:1-16

Psa 119:1 ALEPH. Blessed are the undefiled in the way, who walk in the law of the LORD.
... Just as God called Abraham and Joshua called Israel to live completed lives, lives that are separated to God the Christian is called live the same way. Just as God fulfilled his promise of a son to Abraham He will keep His promises to the faithful today. The Jew and the Christian recognize Isaac as Abraham's son because he is the promised one. The Muslim chooses to pervert the Word of God and to recognize Ishmael. The truth is that God saw to it that after Isaac was born that Abraham was blessed with six more sons. (Gen. 25:1-2)
Psa 119:2 Blessed are they that keep his testimonies, and that seek him with the whole heart.
... Just as I often teach, we are not bound to live according to the Law, but by the same token the Law of the Old Testament is the model for a blessed life. A person that comes in on Sunday, impress' folks with their holy life style and lives like hell Monday morning should never expect God's blessing. Just because it is impossible to fulfill every statute does not mean that we should never seek to use it to model our lives after God.
Psa 119:3 They also do no iniquity: they walk in his ways.
... This is a hard teaching and a good deal of study is required to sort this one out. (1John 5:13-21) After having read the scriptures, these past nineteen years and with the understanding that no scripture can be understood without the light of all scripture I have come to understand that my desire and my plans were to sin until God saved me. I no longer plan to sin and as I find myself in sin I humble myself before God and repent of it. I no longer dwell there.
Psa 119:4 Thou hast commanded us to keep thy precepts diligently.
... In John 1 we learn that the God of the Old Testament is, in the flesh of the man, Jesus. In John 14:15 we see Jesus tell us that if we love Him we will keep His commandments. It is not my understanding that we must, continually, obey the 613 statures of the Law but that we are to grow ever closer to doing so.
Psa 119:5 O that my ways were directed to keep thy statutes!
... The Christian, like the Psalmist, should always seek, even to covet, to be more like God.
Psa 119:6 Then shall I not be ashamed, when I have respect unto all thy commandments.
... As explained by Paul in Romans 6, God has not sought to enslave us to the Law but rather has set us free to choose to live as God would have us. Picking and choosing which scriptures we will obey is not pleasing to God. In the Law we find things like not eating pork and catfish and then we find Peter learning the lesson of Rom. 14:14 and 1 Tim. 4:1-4. The dietary laws were for our health and then God made these forbidden foods clean.
Psa 119:7 I will praise thee with uprightness of heart, when I shall have learned thy righteous judgments.
... The writer explains here the condition of the Fulfilled Jew and the Completed Christian. The difference between the two is more national distinction than anything else because a fulfilled Jew is a Christian.
Psa 119:8 I will keep thy statutes: O forsake me not utterly.
... I see here that the author is not foolish enough to believe that he can completely live by the law but rather that he would study them to remember them, that he might live a life separated to God. In the second half of this verse he is pleading for God to never remove the Holy Spirit from Him. This would have been normal in his time.
Psa 119:9 BETH. Wherewithal shall a young man cleanse his way? by taking heed thereto according to thy word.
... Here we have a rhetorical question and of course he answers it. We must impress upon our children and the youth of our families and our churches the eternal rewards of living according to God's Word and the punishment of not choosing the way of God.
Psa 119:10 With my whole heart have I sought thee: O let me not wander from thy commandments.
... From the day I was saved I have prayed for God to make me like David, that I might always be seeking after the heart of God. When we seek the heart of God we will always be mindful of the rules and the principals of God.
Psa 119:11 Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee.
... In the time of Jesus one of the standards for holiness, measured by man's standards, was the ability to recite the first five books of the Bible. I believe that it is a great deal more important for an adult to know and to understand the content than it is to recite from rote memory. That being said it is critical that we teach our children to recite the scriptures, over the years these will turn into understanding and from that will be gained wisdom.
Psa 119:12 Blessed art thou, O LORD: teach me thy statutes.
... Some today seem to believe that we will learn the Bible by osmosis, that is not only untrue, it is ridiculous. We can never understand how to bless God nor will we ever know the Commandments of God unless we open the Bible and read.
Psa 119:13 With my lips have I declared all the judgments of thy mouth.
... When we, like the Psalmist, have studied the Word of God, prayed and meditated upon it we will not only have the head knowledge but we should have begun to modify our lives to live a more separated life for God. When we have grown that much in our LORD people will ask us what makes us so different from most people and it is then that folks are most open to hearing the truth of the Word of God.
Psa 119:14 I have rejoiced in the way of thy testimonies, as much as in all riches.
... As the author learned the richness of the Law he found the joy of a holy life and as he found that he learned that God's Word made him richer than any with the wealth of this world.
Psa 119:15 I will meditate in thy precepts, and have respect unto thy ways.
... When we read the Word of God and meditate on the statutes and the principals of it we will have the utmost respect for our God and we can begin to understand His ways. As a young GI I was taught that familiarity breeds contempt. On the field of battle I learned that when my men understood me and when they understood that this was not my first battle, there was less discontent and more unquestioned obedience. They knew I was trust worthy. The same is true of becoming familiar with God and that is done through study.
Psa 119:16 I will delight myself in thy statutes: I will not forget thy word.
... When we have studied for a period of time we will also find the joy of righteous living and we will never forget what and Who has brought us there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I will do my very best to maintain a clean and God honoring forum here.