Total Pageviews

Thursday, July 15, 2010

Christians and Guns?

Luke 22:35-38 (King James Version)

 35And he said unto them, When I sent you without purse, and scrip, and shoes, lacked ye any thing? And they said, Nothing.
 36Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.
 37For I say unto you, that this that is written must yet be accomplished in me, And he was reckoned among the transgressors: for the things concerning me have an end.
 38And they said, Lord, behold, here are two swords. And he said unto them, It is enough.

I know that I am forever teaching that there is a sever lack of attention to what is being taught in the Body of Christ today but I cannot cease until I pass over because it is such an important topic.

In my, almost, daily encounters with people, claiming the Name of the Christ for their, very, own, I find such discourse with what the scriptures, the inspired Word of God has to say. While it is certainly not a new concept there is a disturbing concept that is growing in the US by leaps and bounds and that would be the refusal to bear arms against this nation's and other people's enemies.

It seems to me that not only do these “New Testament” Christians, not read the Bible (The Old Testament) that Jesus, not only inspired to be written but, read and used exclusively but they cannot be reading the best life application commentary ever written, the New Testament! In verse 36 of the above passage from Luke Jesus warned His followers, that will be us, to arm themselves for the oncoming events.

Now, there are two ways for a Christian to arm himself and he should be properly prepared in both. The first, and by far, the most important is to place the Word of God in the secret place of your heart. That is best accomplished by daily reading the Word of God. It's really a painless thing and does not require you to become a teacher. It takes fifteen to thirty minutes a day for a year to read the entire Bible... all of it!

The second, although it is a good idea, does not require that you run right out and purchase a semi-automatic rifle. It does however require that a man be prepared to die defending his mother, his wife and his children. Defense, like Christianity, requires commitment.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I will do my very best to maintain a clean and God honoring forum here.